Design and Desktop Publishing (DTP)
In recent years, an increasingly globalised marketplace has led to a greater need for translating business documentation. This production process typically includes Design and Desktop Publishing. It normally involves three parties:
- the author of the copy (the technical writer or marketing manager, for example)
- the designer of the layout (internal design department or external communications agency)
- the translator of the content (internal translation department or external language service provider).
This traditional process is effective to an extent but is open to various complications and pitfalls. Pioneering language service providers such as QuickSilver have therefore begun to adopt amore integrated approach to design and translation, in which the process is streamlined to leverage strengths and reduce overall costs.The integrated approach adopted by QuickSilver is an end-to-end process which consolidates all elements of a translation project into one continuous workflow, combining Desktop publishing (DTP) software and processes with state-of-the-art translation software. We offer:
- Optimised processes for the creation, re-creation and maintenance of professionally laid out documents and websites
- Creation of multilingual, technical documentation
- Re-creation of PDF files to same resolution (printing or web publication)
- Expertise in interface between DTP and Translation Memory (TM) software
- Maintenance of client-produced documents and websites
- File conversion (e.g.: QuarkXpress to Adobe InDesign)
- Expertise in linguistic capabilities of different DTP packages
- Expertise in typographic issues
- Version control
Thinking of translation and DTP as two sides of the same coin is the most cost-effective approach to ensuring high-quality multilingual documentation.